Our founder shared her predictions for the future of fashion and sustainability, in September 2022 at the Autumn Fair 2022 held at Birmingham NEC. Don’t miss out on the important information she shared for budding brand founders, retailers and businesses that are looking to embed sustainability ‘authentically’.
During the session Roberta covered a range of topics and shared value insights and facts regarding:
- The current state of fashion and the planet
- Predictions for the fashion industry & sustainability trends
- Current issues with green claims
- Why sustainability shouldn’t be a marketing tactic but built into the brand DNA
- 3 things you can do to futureproof your business
IT’s TIME FOR THE FASHION INDUSTRY TO CHANGE
Roberta announced that “A new surge of conscious consumerism is sweeping the globe, as people and businesses wake up to consequences of climate change” and stated that almost 90% of Gen X consumers are willing to spend an extra 10% or more for sustainable products [Forbes]
NOT SO FUN FASHION FACTS
FASHION & SUSTAINABILITY TRENDS & PREDICTIONS
Roberta has used her years of experience working with brands and styling clients, along with her keen interest in the development of sustainable fashion to come up with predictions for 2023 and beyond. She believes that these will be the trends we’ll see in the future.
- Garments designed for disassembly and re-use to become more popular
- Made-to-order (on-demand models) will help reduce over-production
- A rise in retailers offering rental options (a focus on the quality of garments)
- Increased customer interest in repairs to extend the life of their clothing
- Material science – renewable biomaterials will replace petroleum-derived materials
- Declining interest in virgin, recycled polyester and rPET as microplastic pollution awareness grows
- More brands will start to explore digital clothing NFTs (non-fungible tokens) as more people spend time in the metaverse and want more ‘experiences’ from their purchases.
What do you think of these? Let us know in the comments!
REFERENCES & ADDITIONAL READING
The Ethical Brand Directory Team