Family activities are all part of the festive fun. However, this year we may need to try things a little different.
Similar to yesterday’s activity, this is another modern take on a family classic, the family game night. Many families may be separated this year, but that doesn’t mean we can’t still have some of our family Christmas traditions. Why not have a video hosted family game night.
How to Set Up Family Game Night Virtually
It’s so easy to do. All you need to do is make sure all players have access to a free video-sharing platform, such as Zoom, Google Hangouts or Zoho Meeting and then set up a group call.
The best game to play is probably charades, it’s an all-time classic and perfect for a video game night as all you really need is your camera on, decent Wi-Fi, an egg timer (or your phone stopwatch) and some imagination! This is a great activity for all the family, everyone can participate and there’s no age limit.
If you’re not familiar on how to play charades or like many families you feel safer having a rule book at hand in case of any disagreements or “accidental cheating”, here’s a quick video on exactly how to play.
We recommend splitting up into teams to make things a little more interesting and allowing the winning team to pick the next activity for your next family/ friends game night.
Online Games to Play With The Family
Here is a list of online games that you can play with the family we think would be quite fun, once the kids are in bed of course!
- Pontoon – someone acts as the dealer and deals 2 cards to each player (who play separately only the can see their cards – shown by the dealer to the camera on zoom) shout twist to get another card, the goal is to get to 21 without going bust.
- Quiz Night – This one is really easy, have each person taking part come up with their own round of question. You could even assign different categories to each person to make it more interesting.
- Bingo – Another super easy one. Have a look a the website My Free Bingo Cards for more info on how to do this virtually, we played at our online Christmas party this year and it was brilliant!
- Scattergories – This game is simple. You get five categories, one letter and 30 seconds to come up with a word or a phrase for each category. The more unique your answer, the more points you get. Follow this link for the online version.
- Trivia – Test your families knowledge with this game and use the random trivia generator to play this family classic virtually.
- Heads up – In this game, players have to describe the word on the screen to the person holding the screen in their head (or simply turn them away from the screen if you are using a laptop).
If you give these a go, do let us know what games you’ve played.
Zoom Games for Adults
Here is a list of Zoom fun games for adults that we think would be quite fun, once the kids are in bed of course!
- Cards Against Humanity – This is definitely an adults-only game. Although it is traditionally a card game, it can be played virtually. Check out this guide on how to play online.
- Most likely too – This is a really fun drinking game. Go through this list of questions, decide who is most likely to do each and that person has to drink.
- Psych – This game is basically Cards Against Humanity meets Trivia. It’s a great game for friends and family, depending on which category you choose to play.
We hope you enjoy,
Roberta & the EBD Team x