The idea of making a memory box and keeping memories and keepsakes from the past year may seem a little crazy. Many of us want to forget most of 2020, however, as eternal optimists here at Ethical Brand Directory we always seek the silver lining from any difficult situation, even COVID-19. 2020 has been an unreal year for us all and it’s safe to say we have never lived through anything like it, and hopefully never will again.
Whether we like it or not, this year will definitely be written into the history books, so why not put you, your family and your experience into the conversation too, as well as looking at how the events of 2020 have changed us.
Before the New Year Take Stock of the Past Year
Before we move into 2021 why not take some time to take stock of the past year and everything we have been through. It’s safe to say 2020 has not gone to plan for anyone, but what have the obstacles taught you?
- Take some time with your family and loved ones to sit down and take stock of the past year and create a box of memories.
- Take the chance to think about all the important moments that made your year, the people you had around you and how you helped each other through this challenging time. Maybe recognise all the things you might have taken for granted.
- Maybe this year has given you a fresh perspective or made you realise or do things you wouldn’t have otherwise, it could be something as simple as discovering a new hobby.
- What do you want to carry into 2021 and what important pledges are you going to make for the coming year to bring more good into your life.
Getting Started With Your Gratitude Box
If you are stuck for inspiration on what to include in your box, here are some questions you could ask yourself and your family to get you started:
- Where did you go for lockdown and who with?
- How did you feel at the outbreak of COVID-19 and how do you feel now?
- Who could you have not got through the year without?
- Who or what have you missed the most and why?
- What has really helped you cope? Maybe you took up yoga, reading, colouring-in or gardening?
- What have been the little things, you may have overlooked before COVID-19 that have sparked joy for you this year?
- Most positive moment of 2020?
Get Creative with Your Gratitude Box
Why not get creative with your gratitude box, have something nice for your family to look back on?
Take the chance to recycle all the leftover boxes and paper from Christmas. If you have young kids, why not get them involved? This will be so much fun for all the family.
Get the kids to draw (or paint if you are up for the added mess) their favourite memories from the past year and use their wonderful creations to decorate your box. Just remember to put a little caption in each picture, so you know what it is.
I hope you’ve enjoyed our suggestions so far, and before we say goodbye to 2020, we just wanted to wish you a wonderful Christmas and prosperous New Year.
Roberta and the EBD Team x